← Return to the careers page
Operations Lead Africa
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
At World Data Lab our mission is big: make everyone count!
World Data Lab (WDL) helps organizations with strategic data-driven decision making. Founded by global leading economists and technologists, WDL is an impact venture based in Vienna, Austria, that develops cutting-edge peer-reviewed methodologies and AI to most credibly model and forecast spending power as well as demographic dynamics. We want to be at the forefront of the ESG trend and create sustainable impact by tracking UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in real-time through several published projects such as population.io, worldpoverty.io, and worldhunger.io.
The position is located in the operations division of our NGO, supporting the project management team and reporting to the Head of International Engagements. The role will support new WDL initiatives to ensure that millions of users can easily access data in relation to SDGs and thus enhance public participation and decision-making. These projects span topics related to employment, water scarcity or biodiversity, and tracking climate change.
For one of our new projects, we seek to develop a granular real-time job growth model for young Africans, to monitor and forecast employment trends across a minimum of seven countries in sub-Saharan Africa (Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda, and Senegal). The objective of this comprehensive real-time data model is to produce credible job estimates, including complementary data on prospective job entrants and the number of inactive and unemployed young Africans. To support efforts to better model youth employment levels across Africa to respond to select research needs and foster local impact.
- Acting as a regional lead on a project spanning multiple countries over multiple years to build up data science hubs and coordinate relevant advisory groups
- Serving as a central coordinator between internal and external stakeholders
- Leading hiring, training, and recruitment of youth advisory groups in addition to other team members based in Africa to ensure success of the project
- Preparing detailed project proposals and project implementation plans including scheduling key project milestones, workstreams & activities
- Coordinating and overseeing project activities and budgets based on requirements
- Managing timely delivery of projects and providing regular reports on project status
- Planning and overseeing implementation of ongoing projects, all while identifying new opportunities for collaboration with international partners/clients
- Defining the objectives, scope, roles & responsibilities of the project
- Preparing meeting summaries, reports, briefs, research/analysis papers, and professional flagship publications for meetings and events in close collaboration with internal teams
What we are looking for
- 5-7 years minimum desired years of relevant experience in the field of project management and project coordination, ideally with international elements or in a position which requires coordination with offices in multiple countries
- Master’s degree in international development, international relations, economics, or a related field to this job position
- Prior experience in engaging with local Information and Communications Technology authorities or Ministries of Education desired
- Strong strategic planning skills to synthesize and turn ideas and concepts into concrete projects, including on the ground implementation
- Enhanced analytical capacity and ability to conduct research or analysis, lead impact assessments or support flagship publications
- Demonstrated time management skills to monitor and evaluate project activities, including supervisory or oversight responsibilities
- Professional capacity of the English language, written and spoken. Command of French and other languages is strongly desired, but not a requirement
- Experience working on the topics of ethics, gender, youth engagement, and impact or sustainability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to coordinate effectively with international clients and partners as well as draft detailed concept notes and project proposals
- Ability to work with data- as well as technical teams to create unique tools that drive change, prior experience in working with product development teams would be a bonus
What's in it for you!
- State-of-the-art equipment that help you to perform at your best with a global and dynamic team
- Lead initiatives and work with a high level of autonomy
- The opportunity to have an impact in a fast-growing and well-established big data SaaS scale-up
- Gain unique insights into an NGO company, including interactions with large companies, international organizations, and governments
- Flexible working hours and conditions with high acceptance of home office
- Be part of an international team of highly motivated and like-minded individuals, including global thought leaders
- Great individual professional and educational development - including growth opportunities within the team
Our mission: To make everyone count!
We offer a competitive base salary and overpayment based on previous experience.
We strongly believe that people are a critical piece of the equation and essential to achieving long-term success. Our passion-driven team works tirelessly towards making everyone count, together! Above all, we value integrity, honesty, and creative thinking to achieve our goals.
If you’re up for a challenge and ready to work with our diverse team, please send your CV including 3 references and a short statement outlining your motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org.